Saturday, April 10, 2010

Potty!!!

We got Mira a potty a while ago, and she has enjoyed sitting on it often. Recently, we made sitting on the potty a part of her bathtime routine. She sits on it while we read a story (or two or three - her choice) right before getting into the tub. At first, we did it with clothes on, then after that was no big deal (she was loving it!), we tried letting her sit with just a diaper, and still that was no big deal, so we decided to try it bare-bummed. She seemed to be torn at this point - she liked sitting on her potty and reading books, but it didn't seem like she was comfortable. So, back to the store we went and found a potty that is more comfy for her tiny tushy (Baby Bjorn)!

Now, she LOVES sitting on her potty even with no diaper, so we have been doing that often the past couple of days.

And, today, we got potty success! This afternoon, while I read her two potty books, she sat on her potty and went pee pee AND poo poo in the potty!!!!!!! Then tonight, during her regular bathtime routine, she went pee pee in the potty again! YAY!!!!!

The first time, I noticed she was pushing, trying to go poo, so I whisked her away to her potty. When I got her diaper off, there was already some inside, so I figured I had missed my chance, but decided to let her sit on her potty anyway. She sat happily and then pushed out the rest! I'm so excited about this, because, typically, kids have a tough time transitioning from pushing while standing/squating/leaning/running - whatever their M.O. is - to pushing while sitting. She had no problem at all! We cheered for her and then I went on to finish her book, and before the end, she went pee pee! More cheering!!!!

We're going to keep up the laid back approach and see how it goes. We're really not trying to rush things, she just showed an interest and that it sort of "clicked" for her, so we went with it. We never make her sit on her potty if she doesn't want to! We don't even "bribe" her into sitting on the potty - sometimes she choses to sit in my lap and hear the potty stories rather than on the potty. Although she does that less often now that she has her new comfy potty!

I think we have a while before things get serious, because I don't think she ever keeps a diaper dry for even an hour!! I guess that's okay, since she's not even 17 months old yet.

Well, it was an exciting "first," so I wanted to put in on the record books!

No comments: