Monday, December 1, 2008

Two Weeks Old!

So, Mira is 2 weeks old today, and we had our first doctor's appointment. I was none too pleased with the whole experience...the staff is not the warmest and I didn't feel like we were given a very thorough visit. Plus, the office location is moving to Haughton; part of the reason we chose this doctor was convenience/location.

Mira was 9 pounds 3 ounces - back at birth weight, so that was good. They didn't measure her length or head circumference (one of my many complaints). We will measure her ourselves tonight.

After her check-up, we had to go to the lab and get her blood taken again for the PKU screening. Apparently, it wasn't done well in the hospital at her birth, so they needed another sample. This involved pricking and milking her heel for what seemed like an hour! Of course, she and I both cried. I wasn't expecting tears today - we weren't supposed to do that until next visit! :(

We plan on switching pediatricians before her next visit. We hope to see the doctor that was present when she was born. He was great. He took his time with us and seemed genuine and patient. Hopefully, we will have better luck at his office.

There has been a little sleep deprivation, but, honestly, it hasn't been that bad at all. And, now, she is getting so good at falling back to sleep at night after I nurse. She usually goes 3-4 hours at a time at night, so that's really great, too. A couple of nights ago, she slept 7 1/2 hours! It scared us silly! We were taking her temperature and reading all our parenting books to try and see if that was okay! Apparently, she's fine! =)

For about the first week, Grandma Sheila and Papanui were here to give us a hand. It was so great to have help with dishes, cooking, holding Mira, walking the pups, etc. etc!! It would have been really tough without them!

Mira has been doing great with the nursing from day one, but I've had some trouble with it here and there. Having to use shields has been a big inconvenience and extreme pain has made nursing seem like a chore at times. It was getting pretty frustrating, since I want to enjoy nursing, not cringe every two hours when she gets hungry!

But, I'm getting much better. We went and saw our lactation consultant and got a few pointers. Plus, today, I feel like it just "clicked." We nursed "in public" for the first time (in a fitting room at Toys 'R Us). We totally winged it sans Boppy and sans nipple shield!!! It was very liberating! =) Nursing has been going great the rest of the day. I'm feeling very optimistic about it, and I'm glad nursing has regained its convenience factor!

All in all, the past two weeks have been amazing. I can't imagine how many hours I have just sat and stared at our beautiful daughter. I gaze at her with tears of joy in my eyes - I simply can't believe we created such a perfect little person to share our lives with.

Kenny has already proven himself to be such a wonderful father, just like I knew he would be. And, of course, he continues to be the best husband you could ask for. He has taken care of both of us and still remembered to love on the puppies. He's pretty awesome! I can't imagine how someone could handle a new baby without such a great guy by your side, let alone having no one.

I am so blessed.

Well, I'll try and get some photos up and start keeping the blog updated more often from now on.


We're new to this blog site, so it may be slow going at first, but I'm sure we'll have it all up and running soon with photos, videos, etc.

No comments: