Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Baylor Homecoming Weekend

We had the best time in Waco driving all over town and strolling around campus. This is where Kenny and I met, fell in love, and became engaged! Of course, there were other memories to enjoy, too, but there are a few places in Waco and especially on Baylor's campus that really hold a special spot in mine and Kenny's hearts.


Mira loved, loved, loved seeing the bears!! She pointed, growled to them, and called them all "Jeejer" (Jeter), and cried when we had to leave them! She was so excited to see them again throughout the weekend in various places! (I think our next zoo excursion will be a hit!)







Daddy with his little bear cub.


Meet Rufus. Rufus is some guy who was important enough to get a statue. I don't know why he got a statue (that's not important), but I will tell you why he was important enough to get a picture with us. This was mine and Kenny's official rendezvous point. We'd kiss our good-byes before one class, and say "I'll meet ya at Rufus," and this is where we could find each other!
This is the first time either of us showed up with a baby!!


The Quadrangle. If you were standing with us the first night Kenny and I said "I love you" to each other (that would have been awkward for you and us both), you could have look up and saw this - the third window from the right of the Draper Academic Building.

And if you were standing in that very same spot the night Kenny got down on one knee and proposed to me (again, awkward), and you looked North, you would see the tip top of Pat Neff Hall. Didn't I tell you we had some good memories on this campus?!

Kenny & Mira infront of Pat Neff - Mira danced when the bells rang!!

The Parade! Mira really enjoyed the parade. She loved looking at all the people. She loved watching the floats and cars go by. She really loved watching balloons that had escaped thir owners and were floating up in the air (she would watch them even after they were just tiny specs in the sky!). And she loved seeing the bear again!!

Watching and pointing at the balloons that are floating away.

Sic 'em, Bears!! Mira was very excited to see the bear again! She growled VERY loud! =)

Sitting in the bleachers, waiting for the slaughter...um, I mean, game to begin.

On Sunday, we went over to the Garrett's house and had brunch. I met this family my second to last semester at Baylor. I was paired up with them to spend some time with their two autistic boys. Evan & Cameron were about 2 & 3 years old then. I fell in love with them, and I guess the family fell in love with me, because they offered me a place to live when Kenny needed to move on up to Dallas the summer before my last semester at Baylor.
I began training to become a Behavioral Therapists and worked with the boys along with another boy who was autistic. At the time, I really felt it was my passion and my calling. Since then, I have had a change of heart, but have been forever changed by my experiences with Evan, Cameron, and Johnny.
Anyways, we had a great time with them, and we were totally impressed with the progress that both Evan and Cameron had made! I'm so glad they are all doing well - they are a great family!
After this visit, we got back on the long road home...
We had to stop at a park on the way home so Kenny and I wouldn't lose our minds from the screaming and crying that was going on in the backseat. I know, I know - it's hard to believe when you look at this sweet face! But, it's true! She changes! (Sidenote: I was being the "Tickle Monster," and that is why my hands look arthritic in this photo, if you could tear your eyes away from that gorgeous baby long enough to even notice.)

1 comment:

Casey said...

I really loved this post! I didn't know all of that about you guys and Baylor! Such sweet memories! I am glad you all had such a good time. Oh and I love Mira's tutu!! :)