Sunday, February 14, 2010

What a Weekend!

This weekend has been pretty eventful...some good and some bad.

It started off early and on a good note considering Kenny's office was closed on Friday due to the snow and all the roads being closed. He has to go over a bridge to get to work, and they were shut down! We enjoyed a pretty laid back day.

One of the things we did was get Mira a potty! No - we are not starting potty training! But, she has taken a huge interest in the big potty and the process of going potty. So, I figured it would be good to have one available for her to get used to and sit on if she wanted. She tried a couple out in the store to make sure we got a good fit. The seat of most are too deep and her knees don't hit the edge right. This one fit her perfect and seems to be very comfy for her! Plus, it's made from "green" materials - BONUS! 


Trying it out at home.

Trying it out once we put it in the bathroom - I think she likes it!

Here she is wearing her 2010 Winter Olympic pj's that Grandma Sheila & PapaNui brought back from Canada - she wore them for opening night, although she didn't get to watch any that first evening. Kenny is a huge fan of the Olympics, so she has had plenty of opportunity to see it since.

Big Smile! I love that little baby pot-belly!

She wanted ALL of her babies! Three babies in her lap, and she cries for a doll everytime we go to Target!

She loves playing in my make-up and jewelry as I get ready.

On Saturday, Kenny surprised Mira and I with a beautiful Edible Arrangement! It had strawberries, grapes, and heart-shaped pineapples in a pretty vase! I wished I had taken a picture of it, but we had already devoured about a quarter of it before the thought occurred to me! We all exchanged Valentines, too!

Mira also recieved some great Valentine's from her grandparents! A card with a glittery elephant and a nice surprise inside (to be spent later) came from Nanny & Pappy. And, Grandma Sheila & PapaNui sent a card and recordable storybook; she loved turning the pages and hearing their voices read the story! She is still enjoying all the cards (Kenny got us both music cards) - looking and listening to them all over and over again.

Later, Kenny & I took Mira to the Sweetheart Party at Gymboree. She had lots of fun running, dancing, climbing, and crafting! She was so very tired by the time we left!



So, remember that "some bad" bit I mentioned earlier...well that happened this morning. The most horrifying moment of my entire life occurred about 8 o'clock this morning as I watched my daughter go tumbling down our entire flight of stairs. Kenny went downstairs, leaving Mira and I upstairs. Of course, Mira wanted to follow Daddy. So, she headed toward the stairs, and I wasn't fast enough to stop her from taking a giant step down. I could have been faster, but I didn't expect her to try and go down by herself. So, of course, I feel like a huge failure in the motherhood department.

I watched, in what seemed like slow motion, her bounce and roll down the stairs. I ran down after her and screamed for Kenny the whole way I think. She was just out of my reach the whole way, and I only caught up with her right as she came to a stop at the bottom of the stairs. Kenny ran to us and arrived at the same time. She was scared and crying - which was a good thing. I scooped her up and sat down with her. Trying to check her all over. I think I was scaring her, because she wanted Kenny. This, of course, made me feel even worse, but it was probably better. Kenny was able to be cool and calm her down - distracting her with books and pictures and getting her to walk around. I, on the other hand, felt like I was in shock or something. My brain seemed frozen and going 100 mph all at the same time, and I was shaking uncontrollably.

We took her to the doctor, and they checked her all out. The doctor said she looked fine, and probably wouldn't have any problems - kids this age "bounce well," he said. His major concern was whether or not she lost consciousness after the fall, so he was glad to hear she hadn't. They gave us a list of things to keep our eyes open for, but, otherwise, she's good. She's acted perfectly normal ever since, so I'm breathing a little easier.

Well, we will be more vigilant about always closing the door upstairs now, and, hopefully, Mira has a healthy fear (not a phobia) of the stairs.

I am not looking forward to any more of these types of incidents (I know kids get hurt a lot). I pride myself on being a good mother. It's my one job. It's the most important job I've ever had. I do not deal well with failure, and today I failed miserably. Yes, she's fine (not even a bruise), but the point is that it was something that could have easily been prevented, and I didn't prevent it. I didn't protect her from something that she should have been protected from. I really hate that.

The only thing that makes me feel a little better is that she is smiling and playing, and I get to keep my favorite job.

Sorry for the unhappy ending to such a happy post...maybe you should take a second look at the pictures to make it happy again? I think I will, too...

2 comments:

Lindsey said...

Poor little Mira. I know how you feel. And it is so easy to beat yourself up...The other day I was dressing Bennett and pulled up his pants pretty fast and he sort of toppled out of them on to the ground...it was horrible! And...he wanted Neil after. I felt terrible and I cried too! Guilt comes with motherhood.

Cheryl said...

i'm so glad mira was ok!! yikes! how terrifying for all three of you! i have felt the same way as you...like a failure as a mom when accidents like that happen. when brody was about 6-7 months old (if that) he rolled off our bed and hit the floor face first and then the rest of his body plopped on the ground. it was one of the most horrifying experiences i have had thus far (even worse than when he was a couple days old and rolled off my lap and down my legs like a ball onto the floor). he cried and cried and so did i! fortunately he wasn't hurt, but like you, i just assumed he wouldn't do that and so i didn't take the necessary precautions. it made me feel worse. i have come to realize since then that accidents DO happen. that's why they are called accidents. and i have also tried to learn from it and make things safer for brody if at all possible. thank goodness God DID make them to "bounce"...i'm still in awe at all the things that brody does that could have hurt him so much worse and don't (ie: all the falls at gymboree! ha!). at least we do feel some guilt when we make mistakes...shows how much we really DO love them and want the best for them! =)