Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Mira's Vacation

While we were in Paris, Mira was having her own vacation at "Camp Sheesa"! She got to spend the whole week with Sheesa and PapaNui - what fun!!

Sheila was so wonderful and wrote us a lengthy email update every evening! It was great to read about all the fun Mira was having and the funny little things she would say or do. I looked forward to these emails every evening.

I thought it would be fun for Mira (and the rest of us) to read this down the road. These are the emails we received:

Tuesday, September 21
Hi K&T, All is well here.  Mira watched your car as it went down the road and she waved and said “Bye bye, Mommy! Bye bye, Daddy!” but, thankfully, no tears.  We did a few more bubble flings and then went in the house to get ready to go to Story Time.  As predicted, Mira fell asleep on the way there and had about a 30 minute nap before going into the library – and then peed in the potty right on schedule!  There were lots of interesting kids and activities at Story Time and she seemed to enjoy it – then we went to the book stacks and chose 10 books to bring home.  A trip to Target was fun since we spent a considerable amount of time in the TOY section J   Jim and I had a meeting at church tonight, so we all met up at Taco Bell (burrito - no cheese, no meat plus the cinnamon sticks) to eat before going to the church building.  Mira was glad to see Nui.  She finished eating and so was sitting/standing between us on the bench and she said something that sounded like “a gawk” so I said “are you a gawk” and that just sent her into hysterics – thought that was soooo funny.  So, of course, I repeated it just to hear her giggles. Everyone in TB was smiling at her contagious laughter. (still do not know what a ‘gawk’ is!)  Off we went early to play on the church playground before our meeting started.  There are THREE slides and a see-saw (try saying that three times in a row – “Sheesa seesaw”.  She loved the 'monkey bars' which are really just a bar over each of the slides.  When we got home we had a snack and then Mira and I took a bubble bath together in my bathtub and turned on the chandelier overhead – we are saving the shampoo for tomorrow night.  She was worn out – a short nap combined with lots of physical activity this afternoon so went right to sleep….and that’s where I am headed as well!  Bon Jour, love, mom/sheila J

Wednesday, September 22 
Hi Kenny & Reasie,


What a fun day and we didn't even drive out to go anywhere!! Awake at 6am and first thing this morning Mira says "find Mommy." So I had to do some heavy-duty distraction but we can usually get to giggling fairly easily - especially if I ask her if she is a 'gawk.' Teehee....

The cleaning lady texted and said she would be coming between 11-12 so that meant we couldn't plan to go to Toddler Time at the library this morning, since I wanted to be here the first time they cleaned. Anyhow Mira laid down early for a nap, but, after about 30 min, woke up, so I thought that was it. But then she laid her head on the blankie which was on my shoulder and fell back asleep - so what to do? I didn't want to chance her waking up when I put her back in her bed, so......I laid down on my bed with her laying on top of me and we both slept soundly for about an hour!

Today we read many familiar books (you know what those are) as well as the new library books....the cleaning people were here for four hours so no baking but we walked outside some and watched Wonderpets on TV (yes, I figured out how to access the previously recorded show) and did some laundry, and basically tried to stay out of the way of the cleaners. Every now and then today Mira would look around and say "where Mommy go?" and also "where Daddy go?" so I have started saying very matter of factly "Mommy and Daddy are in Paris and they love you and they will be back on Monday" and then I go into distraction mode.....tonight the three of us huddled around the island for dinner so MDW could eat standing in the tower; she and Nui shared cashews :)

Then we heated the spa and went 'in the hole'. We were outside earlier this evening so it was still very light out and no owls hooted so we were golden. When she said she had to pee, Jim/Dad went to get the portable car potty and so she went on the side of the pool (better than going into the AC of the house when we are all wet). Then we wrapped up in our big towels and went to the swing where Mira is able to basically lay out flat on her back on top of me and she was so sweet - started singing the 'like a diamond in the sky' line from Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. Came in the house and had a nice warm shower; then a small bowl of sorbet and glass of milk. And the bed routine was absolutely flawless - no crying at all! She is SUCH a pleasant little girl. I still find it amazing and I feel so honored and blessed that she just seems to have such love and trust with us. We are truly doing fine.

So glad to have your update as well and sounds like you two are going to make the most of your days there. The only French I know comes from the animated movie "Beauty and The Beast" so I will not try to mangle any more French words. Have a GREAT time! Love, mom/sheila :)

Thursday, September 23
Hi Kenny & Reasie,


Another good day! Woke up around 6:15am and Mira always hears Nui in the exercise room on the elliptical machine with the TV on; so no way are we going back to sleep!! (Jim/Dad is taking tomorrow off as a vacation day, so maybe we will sleep in a little – or maybe not!)

Early this morning, I was thinking I should get the refrigerator organized so I opened the door and an apple came rolling out onto the floor – when I said “apple down” and “apple on the roll” Mira thought that was sooooo funny – I just looooove her giggle.

Around 10am we were ready to leave to go to the library in Fulshear for Story Time. We both enjoyed this one a lot. There were fewer kids (maybe a dozen) and the leaders were great. They mixed the stories in with physical activities including some with sign language – it lasted 50 minutes. One activity was going around in a big circle with one or two scarves in our hands – these scarves are the chiffon (I think that’s the name of the fabric) kind – really light weight so we could throw them up and move them around. We stayed afterward and played in the kids section – they had toys in a bin and wooden puzzles, etc. One of the songs was “Skina-ma-rinky-dinky-dink, Skina-ma-rinky doo, I love you and you and you and you.” I sang that in the car on the way home and there was a big chorus from the back seat “a you a you a you a you”.

She had a nice two hour nap and then up to read all of the books we just got at the library – this time I got board books. I let her watch the Wonder Pets on the breakfast room TV while I made dinner; we ate - and then we got on our swim suits but first we thought we should go for a little walk in the front of the house while the spa was heating up so Mira had on her socks and tennis shoes. BUT Mira decided we had to RUN – and I mean we ran for a good 40 minutes – back and forth on the driveway. Every time I would say ‘do you want to go swim now’ it was ‘NO’. We would run to a certain “big crack” in the driveway and I would say stop; and Mira would bend down and put her hands on her knees; turn around; ‘ready, set, go’ and run to the “big crack” on the other end of the driveway (well within safe limits away from the street traffic). I only got her to take a break when Sheesa had to go to the bathroom!!!! While in the house we got Baby and went back out and this time Mira ran with Baby back and forth (of course Jim and I are right there beside). She showed Baby how far she could go – just to the big crack…..too cute. What stamina – she worked up a bit of a sweat! Had fun in the spa but it got dark and that seems to make her a bit anxious; so into the house and the bedtime routine….all is well.

Today we had more “where Mommy go” and “where Daddy go” so I just repeat that you are in Paris, you love her and will be back on Monday. Tonight when Jim/Dad got home she started asking again, so I asked her to tell Papanui where are Mommy and Daddy and she said ‘Paris’ with a small hint of a smile……

What a bummer about the Versailles chateau being closed – I googled it and found out that “The Estate of Versailles is generally open year round with only the Château (Main Palace) closed on Mondays. Opening hours at Versailles are long but note that buildings sometimes close due to strikes or public events. Such closures are usually – but not always – announced a few days in advance!”

Another BUMMER, I went into the spa with my cell phone in my pocket – the thing is totally on the blink – maybe by tomorrow it will dry out and be okay or maybe we will be going to the Sprint store – I was eligible for an upgrade 9/1.

Okay, ttfn, love, mom/sheila J

Friday, September 24
Hi K&T,


This morning worked out really well since Jim took the day off – Mira was awake as usual at 6:05ish but then with a little bit of milk and some wiggling of toes/legs went back to sleep in our bed until EIGHT AM!! That was a great way to start the day – well rested!!

Forgot to tell you about what happened last night at dinner - Jim/Dad gave the salt shaker to Mira (he says the tab was closed) and then when we looked over she had figured out how to open it and dumped about all of the salt out of the shaker – so Nui told her it was the ‘salt experiment’ – a budding scientist!

Reasie, have you heard of Raffi? (Kenny, I’m pretty sure you’ll remember him). He is a great singer for kids. One of his songs is a nice melody with the lyrics: “All I really need is a song in my heart, food in my belly, and love in my family.” Do you all have any Raffi? If not, we are going to get you some!!! Hes. One of his songs is a nice melody with the lyrics: “All I really need is a song in my heart, food in my belly, and love in my family.” Do you all have any Raffi? If not, we are going to get you some!!! He is great and fun to sing-a-long…

Saw in the business section of the newspaper today that the French are protesting in the streets over plans to cut social benefits. “Plan to raise retirement eligibility age to 62 spurs outcry.” Hope this doesn’t affect you at all - the article says train stations could be disrupted…since we haven’t heard from you today I’m wondering if communications are affected somehow…or it could just be that the hotel internet is not cooperating.

I have to say I am glad to have chicken, duck and penguin sleeping with MDW – they are an immediate distraction when she wakes up – we can start talking to them and she gets cheery right away. Another thing I am glad to have is the de-tangler – that is really handy stuff!

This morning before lunch the three of us drove over to a playground in Weston Lakes – it has a double slide so Mira and I went down side by side. And a swing set with one toddler ‘bucket’ type seat with a seat belt. Also two rocking horses on springs in the ground. We all enjoyed that even though the adults were dripping with perspiration it was so humid today. Then it was home for lunch and nap.

While driving down Westerdale Drive, we measured for the 5K Turkey Trot we will have at Thanksgiving – participants can either run, walk, bicycle or whatever!

Dad heated the big pool today so we went swimming this afternoon but no spa this evening - we went to the Sprint store after dinner this evening, so now I have a new Blackberry – I just have to get it set up. My old phone has to dry out (it is sitting in front of the fan all night) and HOPEFULLY they will be able to transfer all of my contacts when we go back to Sprint tomorrow…fingers crossed. Mira was full of energy while at the Sprint store – luckily they didn’t have too many customers so she was able to run and skip and march up and down…she’s too cute!

After the Sprint store, we went to HEB for a few groceries and Mira got to ride in one of those carts that looks like a car, so she ‘drove’ all around HEB. (( We got some Mr. Bubble bath for children ))!

That’s about it for now - we are so thankful to have this time with Mira - it is another great opportunity to forge the grandparent/grandchild bond ….love, mom/sheila

Saturday, September 25
Hi Kenny and Reasie,


Today was an early morning – Mira slept until 5:40am and then we managed another hour in our bed (thanks to the milk)..

While we were getting ready to go do errands, Mira was using my notary stamp with great vigor – we said we were going to get her a job in Egypt (where the officials loooooove stamping documents).

We went to the plant store to get some plants for the secret garden and can you believe I forgot to get a couple of things at HEB yesterday? So we went back today and, of course, it is busier on a Saturday morning but we found a parking space in the “Parking for Parent with Child” – and we were LEGAL!! Then a quick stop at WalMart….back home for lunch and nap. Couldn’t go back to Sprint today because my old phone will not boot up - turns out they cannot even take it for recycle since the damage is ‘liquid.’ The guy told me to put it on the dashboard and get it as hot as possible and just maybe it will boot up long enough to transfer my phone/contact information…..hope so!

Reasie, we made your recipe for hummus today and it is yummy…Mira enjoyed it with her crackers.

The afternoon nap today was, unfortunately, a mere 30 minutes so we had a bit of a grumpy little girl this afternoon, but we kept busy – got out the box of stuffed animals and also we went out and did the flower planting, and then a nice swim and a schwing…lots of reading and then dinner. We then went upstairs, got cozy wrapped up in that red fleece comforter and had an episode of “Wundie Pets”, then bath. She was so tired, the bedtime routine was flawless J

We are to get a cool front with Monday a high of 83 – yippeeeee. That’s about it for now. Nui and I are heading up to watch our recorded show “Hawaii 5-0”.

Love, mom/sheila
 
Sunday, September 26
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, REASIE!! ((how dee-lish to start out your special day with chocolate croissants!!))


I am sooo glad to hear that you have been able to access my daily updates – I can imagine how disheartening it would be if you were unable to hear about Mira’s day :/

Mira made up for her lack of sleep yesterday – last night she slept 11 hours! We were up at 7am and so made it to the 8:30am worship service. She couldn’t sit through the entire hour, so we went and played with the toys in the nursery along with the other children. Then I took her to the 2 yr. old Bible class and this suited her fine. We sang and colored and had fun with an expressive and dramatic teacher. Then straight home for lunch.

I forgot to tell you a cute thing about yesterday – after she woke up from that brief 30 minute nap and I brought her into bed with me she wiggled around for about a minute and then in a very tiny whispery soft voice said ‘milk’ and we had to laugh – as if she was saying “if you think I’m going back to sleep without any milk, you have another think coming!”

Here’s another thing: the other day I was holding Mira and I dropped a package of cheese on the floor and I said “Oh, dear, cheese down.” And then I swooshed her down to the floor to retrieve it for me – and she thinks that is great FUN! So now she says “oh, dear” and wants to retrieve anything on the floor over and over!

We've been practicing the different walks we see in the Gossie books - forward, backward, marching, etc. So today I was changing her into her bathing suit but she got away from me and it was so cute seeing that bare hiney 'marching' away :)

Potty Report: We haven’t had any accidents since about Wednesday evening. At first Sheesa wasn’t getting it – when Mira would say “pee pee” it didn’t register that she wanted to go potty, first of all because it wasn’t very loud or urgent (even though you warned me about this, Kenny) and second because it sounds to me like she is saying “bebe” (baby)….but then I became more attuned…AND I now put her on the potty at regular intervals plus every time we are getting back in the car. Btw, have I told you that I looooove that portable potty for the back of the car – how convenient and she just does her business like it’s a regular potty – no problem.

After naptime today we again went to one of the Weston Lakes playgrounds – she keeps me on my toes when we are going down the dual slide side-by-side because she does the counting and then says ‘go’ - the countinganother sequence altogether!

Came home and watered the newly planted flowers and had a swim but no swing b/c we heard a pretty loud owl ("whassat?") somewhere out there….had a rinse-off shower, then dinner and a repeat of a WonderPets show; then milk; teeth brushing and bedtime with no tears - it was all out of order from the regular routine but no problems….

We’re going to have a special birthday dinner on Monday evening for the birthday girl (if you all can stay awake with jet lag!!): Pina Coladas, Tossed Salad, Daiya Macaroni & Cheese, Curried Chickpeas with Couscous, and for dessert: Chocolate Pudding Cake, and Oreo Vice Cream….

Can’t wait to hear all about your trip! If you have any videos, maybe we can watch that…..Love, mom/sheila :)


Jim & Sheila - Thanks SO much for keeping Mira and making her stay SO fun!! Thanks for the daily updates - they made us smile every evening and made all the difference in me keeping my sanity!!  =)

No comments: