Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Providence House

About a month or so ago, I started tutoring at the Providence House over in Shreveport. It's a great organization that helps people escape homelessness through education and appropriate counseling. It is very much the kind of organization I would like to run one day. I feel like education is definitely a big key to helping any one person and the world in general. Along with that, a lot of people need help with healing before they are in a position to learn.

The Providence House also operates a safe house for people who are trying to get themselves (and often their children) out of domestic violence situations.

I'm honored to get to be a part of this operation and to be a part of the woman's life that I'm tutoring. She is working toward getting her GED and is a lot of fun to hang out with. She has her days; I can tell she has a lot of stress in her life. But, she always seems to liven up as our session goes on. I find that I walk lighter when I leave there, too.

Right now, we are working on math. It's the last subject she needs to master before taking the big test. It is an 8 hour exam, and, in Louisiana, you have to take all the parts of the test within a 48 hour time period. In Texas, and other states, you can piecemeal the exam over a much longer time period. It will be strenuous, but I know she'll do well, and I can't wait to congratulate her!

No comments: